Friday 1 February 2013

John Burgerman extra infro I went looking for.

I asked a few additional questions to Jon however still waiting on another response back so I have done a little more digging for information at some of the answers i didnt quite get.

So I went looking for questions that people had asked him before and came across these:

Do you use a graphic tablet to create your digital work?

I hand draw pretty much everything and scan the work in. Sometimes I’ll use something like Live Trace in Illustrator to turn my black and white drawings into vector shapes.
I very very rarely trace around the drawing with a path. I’ve recently (late 2009) started using a Wacom Cintiq and am exploring what I can do with it - it’s a lot of fun and an amazing piece of hardware.


How did you get started?

I studied Fine Art fine art at nottingham trent university.





A lot of your work mixes both analogue and digital techniques. Why do you choose to work this way?

Both techniques offer excellent and different qualities - why not cherry pick the best things each medium has to offer? Digital can save a lot of time and allow for easy amendments, scaling of work, adaption to digital media etc. Analogue is warmer, more human, allows for a easier emotive expression.


What would your advice be for students currently studying within creative courses like for example?

Research your field and get a clear idea of what you want to do and the best way to implement it. You might need to visit shops / galleries / venues etc. You might need to email / phone / meet people etc. You might need to google / read / watch stuff about it. Don’t just sit there and then hope to ‘enter the commercial world’ with no preparation. And don’t forget to learn as you go on, in many ways when you start engaging with things outside of Uni your real learning has just begun…!


What type of markers, paints, pens, etc. you use when colouring your work?

I use whatever I can get hold of that hasn’t already run out. Pen wise I like a nice old honest, chewed at the end biro or a sleek Pentel Hybrid Gel Grip. I use a wide variety of felt pens, from Berols to Sign pens to chunky markers, like Sharpies.

When painting I use a mix of household emulsion and cheap acrylics. Some of the cardboard pieces and wall paintings I’ve done also utilise Posca pens, which are from Japan. Sometimes they’re a little difficult to get hold of but are worth tracking down as they give a nice flat colour on most surfaces and are very quick and easy to use.






No comments:

Post a Comment